Remote Installing VNC
Ok, this is just a mini tutorial on installing VNC on a remote Windows XP Machine. Well, VNC is a free utility to remotely control another computer.
A remote Windows XP Pro / NT4 / 2000 / 2003
RealVNC version 3.3.x. download here.
PSExec to let us execute programs from the remote target machine. It's a freeware from Sysinternals
Administrator rights to the remote PC. Look, I'm assuming you have admin rights to the pc because you own it or the owner gave you his/her administrator account. Or you sniffed/cracked it's password, that's bad.
Install VNC on your computer
1. Download and Install RealVNC. Make sure to enable these options during installation
Register VNC Server as a system service
Start the VNC system service
2. Enter your password when asked. This password is the same thing that you'll be using on the remote computer.
1. Unzip in a directory of your choice.
2. Run cmd
3. Go to the directory of the PSExec. Now, then let's start the Installation of VNC on the chosen remote Computer
change "TargetIP" by the remote computer's name or its IP address.
change "username" to administrator's username
change "password" to administrator's password
4. Login to the remote computer. Type
net use \\TargetIP\IPC$ /user:username password
5. Copy the needed files from your computer to the target. Type
xcopy "C:\Program Files\RealVNC\*.*" "\\TargetIP\C$\Program Files\RealVNC\*.*" /r/i/c/h/k/e
6. Export registry settings to the remote computer.
regedit /e "\\TargetIP\C$\vncdmp.txt" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL"
7. Use PSExec tool to import vncdmp.txt file into the remote computer's registry (Make sure your in the PSExec directory).
psexec \\TargetIP -s -i -d %windir%\regedit /s C:\vncdmp.txt
8. Install the program remotely
psexec \\TargetIP -s -i -d "C:\Program Files\RealVNC\WinVNC\winvnc.exe" -install
9. Remote Start the service
psexec \\TargetIP -s -i -d net start "VNC Server"
10. Test if you can connect using your winvnc "C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNCViewer.exe"